Surgical-Style Barrier Mask
The Rydge Surgical Mask helps keep coughs and sneezes from becoming airborne and to keep them contained to the wearer. It’s a great alternative for standard masks as the fabric used is water resistant. The around-the-ear design makes it easy for healthcare workers to put the masks on patients, and the bands hold well, without pulling on the ears. The Rydge Surgical Mask works well as a standard mask for everyday uses. See the Rydge Platypus Mask for sealed-fit protection.
- 12” x 7.5” Sterile Wrapping material
- Rubber Bands
- Heat sealer
- Folding Jig
- Final Fold Jig (piece of cardboard or plastic 7 3/4” x 2 or 3”)
- Clips (optional)
1. Center fabric lengthways in jig lining I up with edge of “A”. Fold “A” over. Fold fabric over A, pulling it snug. Fold B over. Repeat with all flaps, ending with folding the fabric back over F.
2. Seal the ends or clip them. This is just to hold the folds together for the next steps.
3. Place rubber band on mask over one end. Fold the end of the mask over the rubber band about an inch, using the Final fold jig to keep in place. Note: the jig is the final length of the mask. Roughly center it, and it will be your marker for the fold.
4. Place mask on heat seal strip, being careful to keep the rubber band from breaking the seal on the foam. Lock into place and slide out the jig. Press the vacuum button. After a second press the seal button. Wait 6 seconds for it to cool before removing from heat sealer, to allow the plastic to re-harden. Note: The vacuum pulls the lid down for more pressure, giving it an even seal.
5. Repeat for other side. Trim off any excess.
6. Distribute to your local medical teams.
Making Your Folding Jig
- Cardboard or any material you have
- Packing tape or duct tape
Cut out each of the following from cardboard or any stiff material you have:
– Base – 3 ¼” x 7 ½”
- A – 1 3/8” x 7 ½”
- B – 2 3/8” x 7 ½”
- C – 1 7/8” x 7 ½”
- D – 1 7/8” x 7 ½”
- E – 2 3/8” x 7 ½”
- F – 1 3/8” x 7 ½”
Or use the template below.
Using tape, attach pieces to base in like formation:
Weston Pro 2300 Vacuum Sealer
The seal on this model gives the most even, reliable, and durable seal. We use it for the final seal on the surgical masks.
Impulse Heat Sealer
While this model is much cheaper, the resulting seal from it is not as consistent, and will take some tweaking and adjusting to get it right.
Latex-Free Orange Rubber Bands, Size 19 Inches, 0.16 x 3.5 Inches
These are our preferred rubber bands as they have a springy stretch, and don’t pull on the ears.
Sterile Wrapping Material
Halyard 100 Sterilization Wraps This is watertight, but air breathable fabric that will help keep a person’s coughs and sneezes contained to themselves.
PO Box 226
Centerville, Tennessee 37033